Getting started online doesn’t have to be daunting or expensive. The first step to getting online is to set up a basic web presence. Many small businesses think getting online is expensive and difficult. In today’s environment this simply isn’t true. In fact it is relatively easy.
There are many free (or reasonably priced) and easy to use website tools online. These tools allow you to build a simple web presence for your business. You just need to know where to look!
Every business should at minimum have a simple website. This will allow you to be found online and to promote your business to customers and prospects.
You cannot afford to wait any longer to get online. No matter what industry you are in, the chances are your competitors are already using the web to attract your customers.
Free online web building tools:
Below is a list of some of the best known website tools.
- WordPress: One of the most commonly used tools, WordPress has a large support community, a wide range of templates to choose from and a user-friendly interface. Users can get started for free, and it is an open source tool meaning the code is free. This is important if you decide to build a more comprehensive site in the future.
- Shopify: A useful tool for those businesses who wish to facilitate eCommerce (the ability to process online shopping).
- Squarespace: A low cost, easy to use website builder, it leads the field in the proprietary web tools space.
- Tumblr: Where websites and social media merge. Tumblr can be a particularly useful tool for those businesses who pride themselves on aesthetics and imagery and would like their content to be easily shared.
- Wix: Another free website builder with a range of templates and user support.
- Weebly: Free website builder with no need to sign up if you already have a Facebook account.
We generally recommend WordPress for a number of reasons.
- There is a huge range of free and paid templates to choose from
- Getting started is quick and easy
- The interface is user-friendly, and
- Because it is Open Source, there are a large number of users providing a comprehensive support network online when you get stuck.
That said, each business should investigate its options and choose the solution that is most suited to its own needs. There is no right or wrong answer and any of the tools mentioned above will get you online quickly and easily.
Getting started in under 20 minutes:
We’ve recorded a 20 minute webinar stepping you through the process of setting up a free basic website with WordPress. This is just a basic framework, and those who want a more comprehensive website can spend much more time expanding and perfecting their presence according to their needs.
Set aside 20 minutes to watch the recording after which you will have the knowledge to get your business online.